"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson




Saturday, December 20, 2008

I've seen the light

I have finally seen the light and it is truly life changing; you might even call it an epiphany. It’s transformational. I get it; I mean I really get it. I finally understand what the board of health is trying to accomplish with this smoking ban and why their work is so important. I understand the mission now. They’re just trying to protect us from ourselves. We need their help. The community’s very health is at stake.

I feel so foolish for letting issues like liberty and personal property rights to cloud my vision and make me so blind to the truth. The scales have fallen of my eyes. I’m so glad we have the board of health to watch over us. I know some of you are thinking, what about freedom? Well, sometimes you have to look at the big picture. Even a surgeon has to cut things off now and then to bring about healing. Just consider this a little amputation of liberty for the greater good.

Think about it. There are more of us non-smokers so we are the majority, and it’s only a small infringement on the business owner’s property rights anyways. Yes, we could choose to go somewhere else but that is very inconvenient. Besides, they’ll be healthier in the end too and we’ll all have cleaner lungs. Now don’t start with that ‘does the end justify the means’ stuff. The business owners will probably secretly thank the board of health when all is said and done.

I know the number of smokers in the country has steadily declined over the past 40 years, probably due to education on the subject, but it’s just not happening fast enough. Sometimes you have to use some extraordinary methods to get where you want to go and if we lose a business or two along the way, it’s a small price to pay for a healthier Hopkins County.

Like it or not, you’ve got a friend in the Hopkins County Board of Health. They’ll do what ever it takes to make sure you’re healthy. They’re here to help you make those hard decisions and they’re very, very smart. They know what’s best for you. They've got your back. I don’t know about you but I’ll sleep more soundly tonight.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
-- Benjamin Franklin


No comments:

Curtis Staggs VereBlog Feed